Moving can be a stressful and frightening time to a child. Here is a list of helpful tips to help them cope with the move!
· Assure children that you won’t forget their friends.
· Make a scrapbook of the old home and neighbourhood.
· Throw a good-bye party. At the party have their friends sign a tee shirt.
· When packing, give them their own box. They can decorate it so they know which one it is.
· Start a scrap book for their new home. Include a diary of my first...
· Visit their new school, park, church etc ... Take a camera.
· When unpacking, allow them to unpack their treasures then have them play with the boxes while you unpack.
· Help your children invite new friends over to the house.
· Let them choose a new favourite restaurant. This will help them feel in control of their new world.
· Encourage them to send letters about their new home to their friends.
· Remember, even if you only lived in a home a few years ... to a young child it is nearly their entire lifetime!