STAY SAFE IN WINTERY DRIVING CONDITIONS
Winter in Ottawa is in full force which means you could find yourself having to venture out in freezing rain conditions. When fluctuating temperatures hover around the freezing point, there is a strong possibility that freezing rain will develop.
Please navigate the roads safely if you absolutely must be out on the roads. If you don’t have to drive when road conditions are unfavorable then don’t, but if you do, here are some tips to follow. Even experienced drivers sometimes needs a friendly reminder:
Tips on Driving in Freezing Rain Conditions
As previously mentioned, if you have the option to stay home where you are safe and warm then do so. However, if you do need to brave the roads, consider the following:
1. Use extreme caution and drive for the conditions- sudden acceleration may cause your vehicle to skid.
2. Avoid sudden breaking where possible. Breaking suddenly can also cause your vehicle to skid and could result in a loss of vehicle control.
3. Make sure to leave plenty of space between you and the car in front of you. This will allow a driver more time to react to different situations.
The greater the distance means more chances to avoid a collision.
4. Don’t be in a hurry-leave yourself plenty of extra time to get where you need to go. Don’t get stressed by being late to your destination. Better to arrive late than the other option. Trust us-you will not be the only one taking their time and those that speed to get to where they are going will only create more of a problem for other motorists.
5. Stay behind the snowplows-avoid passing. Plows and salt trucks should be out in full force when nasty weather hits to ensure that the roads are maintained. Stay behind and let them create a safe environment for you and the parade of cars that may be stuck behind them.
6. Avoid engaging in distracting behaviors-this goes for driving in any type of weather. Put the cell phone away and make that important text once you arrive to your destination. Driving in freezing rain especially requires your full attention so pay attention to what is happening around you, be aware of your surroundings at all times.
7. Invest in snow tires. Winter tires will help to create a better grip on the roads when covered in snow and ice.
8. Make sure your windshield washer fluid is topped up to prevent the rain from freezing on the windshield.
Stay safe on the icy roads!
Leave a Reply