Creating a Go-To Gift Box
Life is unexpected – and recently that couldn’t have been more true.
Very good friends of mine have been on the hunt for a new place for some time. I get updates every now and then about apartments they’ve seen and liked, and things they’ve seen and hated. I always thought I’d have more time….
Then one day – I got a text: Moving next weekend – would love your help!
I would do almost anything for my friends, including help them move on a chilly Saturday in February … but I don’t like to come empty handed. I am celebrator, and one week didn’t seem like enough time to go out and find the right house warming gift for a space that it felt like they had literally been on the hunt for forever.
Insert the “Gift Box”. If I had been smart, this would have already been implemented. But since I’m reactionary, I guess I’m creating one now!
Realtor.ca had put out a fantastic article about creating an emergency gift box for last minute occasions – and this was just the inspiration I needed. They spoke of four main components. The gifts need to be neutral (able to gift to anyone), meaningful (have a story), useful (no more knick-knacks!), and quality. Perfect for those spur of the moment hostess gifts, forgotten birthday, or unexpected surprise.
I wanted to share with you my shortlist of Ottawa (& beyond) gift box staples:
- Bath & Body Works – Hand Soap
- Nothing beats a cutesy hand soap, like this Eucalyptus Mint
- Tiggy Winkles – Go Away Hand Towel
- When you know exactly how your friends really want to respond to their guests
- Kitchenalia Westboro – Artisanal Spices/Bitters/Dry Goods
- Kitchenalia offers a huge collection of interesting foods and additives that you don’t find everyday in Loblaws or YIGs. There’s something for everyone!
- MEC – Wide Top Water Bottle
- Almost all of my friends have a love of the outdoors – so this would have to be in my list. Fill it with some of their favourite candies and it’s self contained and good to go!
- The Hintonburg Pottery Shop
- Handmade with love, my favourite is work by Trent Herman
- A card game I introduce to anyone who will listen. Almost everyone ends up loving it to pieces
- The One Thing by Gary Keller
- If there’s a way to combine real estate and a great read that you will take something different away every time you read it … then why wouldn’t you (anything can be lead generation if you try hard enough :P)
Have a great gift box gift idea? Share it below!
Leave a Reply