FIRE PREVENTION WEEK
Did you know that it is Fire Prevention Week? This year, for the third year in a row, the focus is on smoke alarms. Surprisingly, only a small percentage of people know how old their smoke alarms are, or how often they need to be replaced. Here are some key tips to remember:
- Smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years;
- Make sure you know how old all the smoke alarms are in your home;
- To find out how old a smoke alarm is, look at the date of manufacture on the back of the alarm; the alarm should be replaced 10 years from that date.
It is very important to make sure you have a properly functioning smoke alarm. It is your responsibility and by keeping your smoke detector up to date you ensure:
- The prevention of fires in the first place;
- The detection of smoke and fire with working smoke alarms as a second line of defense.
And as per usual make sure you and your family members have a well-rehearsed escape plan so you can evacuate safely in the case of a fire.
For more information visit the City of Ottawa website: http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/emergency-services/fire-services/fire-prevention-week-0?platform=hootsuite
Leave a Reply